SALA Rattanakosin, Bangkok
SALA Rattanakosin is a boutique bolthole in the heart of Bangkok’s Old City area. Within a stone’s throw of the infamous Wat Pho and Grand Palace, those who are keen to see the sights and travel by foot rather than taxi will be right at home here. Located down an inconspicuous city side street lined with food stalls and warehouses, the almost hidden entrance is a welcome oasis to step into after a long day’s sightseeing. Right on the bank of the Chao Praya River, the property's rooftop bar boasts a 360-degree temple-flecked vista and is undoubtedly one of the city's most popular sundowner spots.
With only 15 guest rooms, SALA Rattanakosin is a world away from the usual high rise city hotel. Each room is glass fronted, our favourites being those facing the river, offering a panoramic view of Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn), daily river life and the western side of Bangkok. The rooms are simple and contemporary, not huge in size (unless you check into the Arun River View Suite) but extremely comfortable and equipped with all the mod cons you would ever need.
Start each day with a delicious breakfast on the floating terrace overlooking the river. Divine homemade jams, freshly squeezed orange juice and a range of both western and Thai inspired hot dishes make a mouth watering menu. But it doesn’t stop at breakfast! Despite its small number of rooms, the restaurant is located over two floors and often fully booked for lunch and dinner by visiting tourists and city workers, thus creating a wonderful buzz throughout the property for those who are staying. There is also a menu of fun and interesting Thai inspired snacks to go alongside the extensive cocktail menu at ‘The Roof’.
With Bangkok (literally) on its doorstep, the list of things to see and do from SALA Rattanakosin is endless. We highly recommend grabbing a map from the wonderful reception team and heading out to explore the city. Here are five not to miss;
- Temples – Wat Pho, Wat Traimi & The Grand Palace (5-10 mins walk)
- Flower Market – Only open at night, this is our favourite market in Bangkok (15 mins walk)
- Taxi boat – Head to the pier and hop on a taxi boat to anywhere you like! We recommend China Town for the best street food in the city (5 mins walk & 10 min boat)
- Long tail boat – Again walk to the local pier and hire a private long tail boat to take you on a tour of the backwaters and klongs (canals) of Bangkok.
- Tuk Tuk – This is not exclusive to SALA’s location of course – but within moments you can access anywhere else in the city by hopping in the nearest Tuk Tuk. Although not for the faint hearted, these colourful contraptions are by far the fastest mode of transport!
Where is SALA Rattanakosin?
Tailor-made Holidays with Turquoise
Every Turquoise holiday to Thailand is tailor-made and expertly crafted. Please contact our team of travel specialists on 01494 678 400 or via our online enquiry form for a bespoke quotation and we’ll happily source the best available offers for your travel dates.
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news and offers