On the edge of the Atlantic Ocean lies the island nation of Antigua and Barbuda. One of the most established Caribbean destinations, Antigua is the larger and more popular of the two, attracting visitors with its world-class resorts and blissful beaches – with over 365 on the island it is said that there is a different beach for every day of the year! With excellent snorkelling, sailing and fishing available it is the dream destination for water lovers. For those wanting to experience authentic Antigua, explore the Saturday markets in the colourful capital of St John’s and don’t miss the infamous Sunday afternoon party at Shirley Heights, complete with BBQ, steel band and spectacular views over English Harbour!
Turquoise Holidays Top 5 Reasons To Visit Antigua
1. Turquoise loves Antigua’s 365 perfect white sand beaches and crystal clear turquoise waters, ideal for water babies and beach bums!
2. We highly recommend Antigua for friends, couples and families looking for an easily accessible beach holiday – just an 8 hour flight from London you’ll be there before you know it!
3. Renowned for world class sailing, stay during annual Antigua sailing week and be wowed by the superb carnival atmosphere and the vast number of magnificent yachts that dominate the horizon.
4. With watersports and land activities aplenty, there need never be a dull moment on this picturesque island.
5. Soak up some of the islands rich heritage with a trip to Nelson’s Dockyard – now the only continually working Georgian Dockyard in the world!
Learn more about all our Caribbean holiday products
While Antigua may lack the dramatic scenery of an island-type holiday in St Lucia, its beaches are among the best in the Caribbean. With over 365 on the island, it is said that there is a beach for every day of the year. From the soft white sand of Dickenson Bay in the North-west of the island to the beautiful Turner’s Beach on the South-west coast and the idyllic beaches of Carlisle Bay, there are more than enough places to choose from. Taking a holiday in Barbuda is similarly blessed with fabulous sandy beaches and can easily be visited on holiday from Antigua.
St John: A Colourful Capital
A luxury holiday in Antigua offers other trips including a visit to the colourful island capital St John’s, where the Saturday morning market sells everything from fruits to flowers; or a short trip to see the famous Nelson’s Dockyard National Park where you can see a restored Georgian dockyard.
The Ideal Holiday Destination
Finally, more than anything, a luxury holiday in Antigua offers a place for relaxation where friends, couples and families can do as little as soak up the sun, lie on the beach and maybe dabble in a water sport or two. Thankfully, the island’s fantastic resorts make it easy to do this. There’s a great range of accommodation in Antigua for holidays and visitors can choose from some of the best resorts in the Caribbean, all offering fabulous rooms and restaurants in wonderfully picturesque settings. An island of amazing resorts and stunning beaches makes Antigua is one of the world’s most perfect holiday destinations.
Visit our Antigua honeymoons page for full details about honeymoons here.